Sunday, June 15, 2014

Saying Goodbye to a Huge Influence in My Life....

 
 
One of the biggest influences of my life was my Uncle Donzer...
He was a self taught artist: painting, drawing, sewing/quilting(he wouldn't admit that last one, but he did that too) and a well respected photographer....
 
He used to take me to the Albany Herald, where he worked, when I was little and I thought he was a magician when he disappeared through the revolving door for the dark room...
 
He used take me on assignment with him when he had an idea for a picture for the paper and he used me a lot for fun side shoots.... I loved it...
 
 
I can remember drawing all of the time when I was younger and the biggest memory of that is when I asked Uncle Donzer how to draw....
 
He handed me this:
 
 
He said.... If you can draw this... than you can draw anything....
 
He later gave me some of his drawing books that he used when he was younger to help him draw...
 
 
and
 
 
When I was 9 he gave me my first real artist tackle box and in it, it had:
 
*Rapidograph Pens
*India Ink
*Palettes
*Charcoal (stick and vine)
*Blending Sticks
*Graphite
*Moldable Erasers
*Newprint Pad
*Watercolor brush
 
We sat and talked about what each thing was for and he showed me techniques for ink washes and he left me amazed at all of the possibilities....
 
I was so scared to use some of the nicer tools inside for fear of ruining them.... that is until I went College and entered into a Fine Arts program....
I used all of those tools in my classes... the 100 hour pen and ink project, the graphite and white enamel project and so many more....
 
I still carry this tackle box with me to every arts show, festival, event that I go to....
 
When I took a photography class he gave me an amazing set of books for Christmas that I still love to look through:
 
(this is just one of the many of the set that he gave me)
 
He has been the biggest artist influence of my life.... I owe so much to this man.... He
nurtured my creativity and taught me to see things that no one else could see...
 
He had the ability to see incredible possibilities in ordinary things and I'm grateful to have inherited that....
 
I'll miss you more than I ever let you know....
 
Bye Donzer
 
Heather
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. How cool is that? Recently, I attended a workshop where we were asked to dig deep into ourselves and return to that place where our inner artist was first cultivated. This is a perfect example of doing that ♥ Lovely tribute!

    ReplyDelete