Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Primer Obsession: Confessions of a Primer Junkie

My name is Heather and I am a Primer addict!!!!   I'm obsessed with finding any kind of primer that is going to make my makeup last as long as it can, while it perfects my skin, and intensifies the pigments in the makeup that i'm using and doesn't allow ugly creasing.  A lot of this comes from the fact that once I do my makeup I don't usually go back and touch it up or reapply it, unless I'm changing my day look into a night look.  Here are some of primers that I really like and some that I can do without.
* ( What the Products claim that they do)
Face Primers:
Rimmel Fix and Perfect Primer 001:  
It prolongs the wear of your foundation.
Smooths and evens out complexion.
Minimizes Pores.

PROS:  This was the first facial primer that I ever purchased.  I loved the feel of this product.  The product feels more like a moisturizer than a primer.  The other perk about this product is the price.  You can purchase it at  drugstores, Target, Walmart and Ulta.  
CONS:  This product didn't really make my make up last as long as I would have liked.  It really kept the makeup moving rather than staying put.  I really with this product either came in a jar or in a pump so that you can get all of the product out of it.



Rimmel Fix and Perfect Pro Primer:
It has 5 in 1 Results:
*Smoothes
*Resurfaces
* Brightening
* Mattifies
*Protects

PROS: I really liked the texture of this product, like the 001, but once I put it on it dried with the texture of a high end primer.  It really smoothed out my skin, filled in the fine smile lines around my mouth and gave my skin a nice glow before I put on my foundation.  It really allows for an even application of foundation.  This product is way better than the 001.  You really can't beat the price on this either...You can get it at any drugstore, Target, Walmart and Ulta.  
CONS:  The only con I have is the packaging.  I want to be able to get all of the product out without having to cut it open to get it all out.

L'OREAL Studio Secrets Professional Magic Perfecting Base:

*Smooths Lines
* Hides Pores
* Banishes Imperfections
-The silky, lightweight formula glides on to skin, leaving it velvety to the touch.  The result is a unified matte finish that is flawless.

PROS:  I love the velvety feel of this product and that a little goes a long way. The product does what it claims.  It helped with a very smooth application of my foundation. I love that the packaging makes it look like a high end product and that you can get all of the product out.  I always keep packaging like this just so I can reuse it.
CONS: The amount for the price is pretty ridiculous to me, especially for a drugstore brand.  You get 0.5oz (Full Size) for $12.95. I only purchased this product once.

tarte: Clean Slate Poreless - 12hr Perfecting Primer

A skin-perfecting mattifying base and pore refiner.
* This primer not only helps keep your makeup in place for up to 12 hours of perfect wear time, but also refines the appearance of pores and diffuses fine lines and imperfections while delivering natural fruit-and plant-derived extracts to deliver antiaging and skin-restorative benefits to your skin. It refines the appearance of pores and diffuses fine lines and masks imperfections. Just one application leaves skin looking instantly smoother, softer, and refined. 

PROS:  This product is awesome.  I've been using it since I got it in my stocking for Christmas.  The texture is very velvety like the L'OREAL primer.  It did make my smile lines less prominent.  Every time that I wear this product, even if I just wear it alone, I get a lot of comments about how young I look and about how flawless my skin is.  I love that there are no Parabens, Sulfates, Synthetic Fragrances, Petrochemicals, Pthalates, GMO's, or Triclosan.  It is full of their T-5 Fruit Complex: antioxidant rich nutrients and vitamins that are said to give you refining, anti-aging and skin-restorative benefits with every use.  I love to use natural or organic products because I really care about my taking care of my skin, it's the biggest organ to take care of, so if I can use products that are very beneficial without a lot of nasty stuff in them.  It is worth the price for the amount that you get.

CONS:  The only con that I have with this product is the packaging.  I would love it more if it were in a pot or if it came in a pump.  


tarte: Clean Slate Flawless - 12 hr Brightening Primer
A waterproof, 12-hour brightening primer.
This primer helps makeup stay in place longer while brightening skin for a healthy, glowing complexion. For use as a hydrating base, this formula keeps your makeup in place for up to 12 hours of perfect wear. It’s also a quick fix for tired or sallow skin—just one application and skin looks instantly radiant. 

PROS: This is the product that I've been using the most as of late.  I love the  feel of this...it has the feeling of the Rimmel Pro, feels like a moisturizer but dries into a velvety finish and not only that, it smells amazing.  It smells like fresh citrus.  This product does give my skin a nice healthy glow before I put on my make up and it looks so good that sometimes I wear it with no foundation at all and just use my eye brightening roller ball and mascara.  Other cool things to know about this product is that it is silcone-free.   It also has natural antioxidants, vitamins A, C, and E, and fruit- and plant-derived extracts to fight free radical damage and prevent premature signs of aging while brightening skin. It has a skin-brightening active from bearberry leaves that is  inhibiting the skin pigmentation process for an even, luminous complexion.  Totally worth the price.

CONS:  Again...It's the packaging.  I really like using pots because I can reuse them and pumps just for sanitary reasons.  I don't like having to cut open the packaging to get to the final bit of the product.

Benefit: The Porefessional Pro Balm:
* A PRO balm that minimizes pores
The POREfessional quickly minimizes the appearance of pores. Apply this silky, lightweight balm to achieve translucent pore coverage and smoother-than-smooth skin. Pores—now you see 'em, now you don't!

PROS:  Now while I don't have huge pores or problems with acne, I like that this product diminishes the look of my smile lines.  Unlike the other primers, this primer is tinted, so it evens out your complexion more so than the others that go on clear.  I love the smell of this product... it has a rose like smell to it.  It's very girly.  I love Benefit products in general... The packaging is really cute and the products are just amazing.

CONS:  Again, it's the packaging...while I love the marketing packaging, i really want the pot or the pump.


Kat Von D: Rehab Priming Elixir 
A makeup primer that prepares skin for easy makeup application and long wear. 
Kat calls this her "black rose primer detox." It provides mattifying properties, evens out the complexion, and nourishes skin to create the perfect canvas for applying makeup and extending its wear. The extract of rose provides potent hydrating properties. A blend of natural fruit and botanical extracts soothes and hydrates skin. This product also protects skin against environmental damage and premature aging. 

PROS:  If you have the Lock-It Foundation, you'll probably like this product.  The foundation is very thick and has a matte finish, so you will want something like this to help move the foundation over the skin.  It does have a rose scent to it. I love the packaging as well.
CONS:  I honestly only used this product a few times and while it did help with the application of the Lock-It Foundation, i didn't like the consistency of it.  It's way too fluid, which leads to waste and it made my skin feel too wet, I felt like it didn't have a good finish to it.  I couldn't wear this product alone because my skin would look too shiny.




EYE PRIMERS:





Kat Von D High Voltage Eye Primer in SKIN, STELLAR, and SMOKEY
*lightweight, non-greasy, non-sticky formula that sets the stage for perfect, long lasting eye-makeup application.
This smooth-textured primer glides over the eyelid without dragging. It performs like a magnet, preventing eyeshadow from migrating and creasing. Micro-encapsulated pigments float over the eye area, finessing skin texture and blurring fine lines. Use the Smoky shade to prep your lids for a smoldering smoky-eye look.

PROS:  The awesome thing about these primers is that I got them for Christmas one year in her Chronicals Vol. 1 Book Palette.  
The Skin Primer is just a color correcting, skin tone primer which was great for giving the perfect canvas, especially for pin up looks where you use a really light eyeshadow for the entire lid, as well as matte shadows in general.  It really complimented her pigments.
The Stellar Primer is a light pink, shimmery primer.  I loved using this one if I wanted either a slight shimmer by itself or using it with really sheer shimmery shadows.  I also loved using it as a highlight.
The Smokey Primer is her really dark, slate grey primer infused with volcanic ash.  When I read the last part of that I was a little weird about using it, but this out of all 3 was my favorite.  This makes your deepest shadow colors really pop.  You can top it with a blue and it would electrify the color.  Perfect for using with loose pigments, especially blues, reds and purples.
CONS:  The packaging, while I loved the doe foot applicator, you couldn't get to all of the product and that they are discontinued. :o (


Benefit: Stay Don't Stray
* Stay put primer for eye shadow and concealer.
*Preps: The lightweight formula blends seamlessly into skin, brightens eye area to minimize the appearance of fine lines, and comes in a universally flattering nude shade.

*Protects: Hydrates with sodium hyaluronate to lock in moisture, fights signs of aging with vitamins C & E, and does not contain parabens.
*Perfects: It's long-wearing to keep makeup looking fresh, locks on ALL concealers & eye shadows and prevents creasing of eye makeup.


PROS:  Again, I LOVE Benefit products.  This one is awesome.  It is tinted which helps correct and brighten your eye area before you even put your concealer on.  It has great staying power and I love, love, love the packaging.  Totally worth the price that you pay.
CONS:  I really don't have any cons about this product.  It does just what it says.


tarte: Clean Slate 360 Creaseless - 12 hr Smoothing Primer
*A waterproof 12-hour smoothing eye shadow primer that locks eye shadow in place. 
This primer acts as a smudge-proof base for shadow while preventing fallout and migration of color. The universal shade glides on easily and powers through the day into the evening for 12 hours of perfect wear. 

PROS:  I love Tarte...It's become one of my new favorite brands.  I love that they don't use harsh chemicals and natural ingredients and most of all that the products actually work.  This product does what it says... No creasing and 12 hour wear.  I use this when I want a really strong eye look and I'm on the go with work and meetings.
CONS:  I don't really like the texture, I feel like it's too fluid.  Again....packaging.



Too Faced Shadow Insurance in Candlelight 
*A versatile eye shadow primer that imparts a sexy, soft-focused light and a subtle metallic sheen whether worn as a base for color or alone.
This long-wearing primer enhances eye shadow and adds just a touch of golden metallic flair. It can be worn alone for a touch of shimmer or as a primer, instantly intensifying color and providing effortless blending. The vitamin-enriched, silicone-based formula glides over lids, smoothing the appearance of crepe-like skin, and brightening dull or discolored lids.

PROS:  This is another go to product for me because sometimes I have lazy days with my makeup.  I can wear it alone for a brightening shimmer effect on my eyes to make them look more awake after staying up late or I can wear it with matte products to add a hint of shimmer to them.  It has great staying power.  I just love this. I also use it sometimes for a highlighter for my eye makeup and for my face.  Good investment.
CONS:  Just the packaging.  I love the pointed applicator, just not the tube.



URBAN DECAY Eyeshadow Primer Potion
A sheer nude eye shadow primer.
Eyeshadow Primer Potion is an ultra-sheer, totally nude base that glides onto the skin. The original, award-winning formula disappears instantly and is the ultimate eye prep for smoother, more vibrant shadow and all-day wear with absolutely no creasing. 

PROS:  This was one of the first products I ever purchased in my first ever trip to Sephora.  I purchased it when Buxom first came out and had their Buxom Betty Kit, which I also purchased.  This is a picture of the new packaging.  The original packaging was the potion bottle with the doe foot applicator.  It's has a nice sheer tint and it intensifies shadow very nicely.  I love this one.
CONS: I love the new applicator, but again the packaging.



I really do have a huge addiction.  I don't go around free basing all of these products at once.  These are products that I've used over the years and some recent products that I've been using.  

Love from a Primer Junkie,

Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment